To make things more fun, we have to have great food! But given that he has several food allergies, that makes preparing food (that tastes good!) much harder. Luckily, we've been doing this a long time and I have plenty of fall back recipes to go to.
It might seem strange, but my son loves chili! This is the easiest recipe...
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup green pepper & red pepper chopped (great way to hide veggies!)
- 2 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 (29 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (16 oz) can chili beans, undrained
- 1 (16 oz) can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 small can of mild Rotel
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat, combine ground beef, onion, and bell peppers. Saute for 5 minutes, until beef is browned. Drain fat.
- Add spices, tomatoes, sauce and beans. Bring to a boil then reduce to low heat. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
As you can see, it's a very simple recipe that even I can make! Plus, you can add or subtract whatever you would like. Sprinkle a little cheese on top, and it's a great game meal!
I have more great ideas on last year's post, Allergy Friendly Super Bowl Foods, so be sure to check it out if you need ideas!