$4.95 All-U-Can Ship

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Mommy's Favorite

This morning, the Today Show had a segment about a parent who blogged about having a favorite child. They asked the "professionals" if they would do that...to which they all said no, of course. But if you have more than one child, do YOU have a favorite?

Personally, with my three kids, I love them all in different ways. My oldest is, well, older! She can help me clean, help me with everything around the house, watch her brothers, if needed...she understands when things can't go her way. I appreciate that about her. She's musical and creative and outgoing. I would like to think that she gets that from me. But that doesn't mean she's my favorite.
My middle son has issues...he has a variety of initials behind his name that designate that he has special needs. He has ADHD, SPD, APD, and Autism/Asperger's. There is also always present anxiety. In his 11 years, I have spent an enormous amount of time with him, taking him to doctors, therapy appointments and calming him down. Because of that, people might think that HE is my favorite...but that's not true. I just realize that he has to be parented in a different way and it's up to me to make sure that happens. His best advocate is me...but he's not my favorite.
Jonah is my youngest son. He was born with severe asthma and allergies (food included) that he graciously had passed to me while pregnant with him. Again, I have spent an enormous amount of time in waiting rooms for doctors, therapists, not to mention hours and hours of research on how to help him the most. There have been many a time where he would have to stay home all day because his asthma was so bad. He has a soft spot in my heart because of everything he's been through, and he doesn't complain that much...at least no more than I do about it! But that doesn't mean he's my favorite.
If I was to be honest, I love each child in a different way. I parent them in different ways because they are different kids. Each one of my kids have their own issues and I feel like it's up to me to take those into consideration when disciplining or handing out chores, or dealing with them at bedtimes. None of them are favorites...they're mine!

But, if you really want to know...this one just might be my favorite. He doesn't talk back, he gives unlimited kisses and is happy all the time. He's my puppy!!
*Just kidding kids!!

No comments:

Post a Comment