$4.95 All-U-Can Ship

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent and is a day of repentance. Typically, a person gives something up for Lent, with the idea that by giving this thing up that you would become closer to God. Well, that's the concept anyway.

In years past, I have given up silly things like chocolate (which could never happen!), or sodas...that sort of thing. But last year, I was trying to lose weight and get into better shape so I decided to give up nighttime snacks.

I have a tendency to want to reward myself after getting the kids to bed and that had led to quite a few pounds added straight to my rear end and thighs. Not pretty, right? But this time, I really wanted to succeed. I managed to stick with it for the period between Lent and Easter and combined with exercise, I finally started to lose weight. So I continued and so far have lost 40 pounds!

Sure I cheat every once in a while, but for the most part, I have changed the mindset that I "need" a reward after the kids go to bed. Now, that is my time to blog or spend with my husband. While this specific act might not be religious in nature, it has given me the opportunity to be closer to my husband and to feel better about myself.

Do you give up anything for Lent and if so, what?

No comments:

Post a Comment