"If you believe, unbelievable things can sometimes be possible, and I think that's pretty special that we have a team that constantly believes and believes in each other," Tebow has said.
Tim Tebow has become a polarizing figure in sports because of his outspoken Christian beliefs. After a game, he will thank God and before a game, he will take a prayer stance, now called "Tebowing." People around the world have copied the stance, like they did with planking and owling, in honor of Tim Tebow. Football players on other teams have sometimes "tebowed," but not as an honor, but as a right in your face insult to Tebow and his religious beliefs.
Last weekend, the Broncos (the team Tebow plays for) played the Pittsburgh Steelers in a playoff game. The way that Tebow played during that game had sports analysts, news reporters, and sports writers everywhere taking notice of his stats for that game.
- Tebow threw for 316 passing yards
- Tebow averaged 31.6 yards per completed pass
- According to Nielsen ratings for that time period, 31.6% of homes reporting tuned in to see this game.
So what's the importance of these numbers? Tebow used to wear John 3:16 on the eye black during his college career at Florida. John 3:16 says, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life."
The media has tried to use his outspoken religious beliefs to criticize him, but here are some facts that I think make him "role-model" material:
- He is single
- He is a virgin - does not believe in sex before marriage
- He was homeschooled
- At every home game, he spends time with a child who is very sick.
- He is a miracle baby; when his mom was pregnant with him, the doctors told her that she would be putting her life in danger by going through with the pregnancy and advised her to abort. She refused.
- He is building a children's hospital in the Phillipines, where he was born to Baptist missionaries.
- Last year, Tebow gave away all his signing bonus of $2.5 million to charities in the U.S. and around the world.
Professional football analysts are quick to criticize his throwing style, his number of turnovers...he wasn't even the starting quarterback for the Broncos at the beginning of the season. But you cannot deny the strength he shows with his team and in the huddle and once it gets to the 4th quarter, Tebow Time, usually something magical happens.
So, right now, the Broncos are playing the New England Patriots...Tebow vs. Tom Brady. Can Tebow do it again this week? We'll just have to see...