We had a bat in the house tonight. It is not the first time. Of course, it happens the day after the Hubs leaves town for work. Lindsey and my mom had to rescue us while I cowered in fear with the boys while they said their last goodbyes. After the rodent was freed from our home, we reflected on what we could have done differently.
Things you should NOT do when a bat is flying around your house:
- Do not scream like a little girl...therefore frightening your kids more.
- Do not tell your kids that you are terrified.
- Do not google anything about your bats, how they can live in your house, and how horrible it is to get rid of them.
- Do not have a panic attack.
- Do not tell your kids that you are scared the stupid thing will land on your head! (Because then the kids will be scared of that, as well!)
Here are things you SHOULD do:
- Be calm.
- Comfort and reassure your kids that it will be ok.
- Read a story or do something to take the child's mind off of the fact that a small, scary beast it flying around our living room at that very moment.
- Wrap your kids (especially the autistic one!) tight in a blanket, to make them feel secure.
- Help them barricade the door with pillows and yoga mats so there is no chance that creepy thing will get in their room.
|it was NOT this cute!!|
Oh yeah, I was totally hiding in the boys room scared out of my mind while my 15 year old daughter and my mom caught the stupid thing with the help of a butterfly net and a big bag. As the boys were crying about dying at 7, or that they didn't get to do all the things in their life they thought they would (like get married to a girl with long hair), I was busy googling local places that might come and get rid of the pest. No such luck there, so we just hid while braver people fought the good fight.
I will take blood, vomit, just about any other kind of "emergency" but not bats...or any other animal that gets in my house. Since we've lived in this house, we have 3 bats, 2 squirrels and various other creatures. Most of them get in through our chimney, which is supposed to be sealed, but obviously not!
So, if you're in an accident, having a heart attack, have the flu, anything else...I'll help you. But if you have bats or other flying or crawling creatures...I'll be hiding upstairs, saying prayers, and hoping for a miracle!