$4.95 All-U-Can Ship

Monday, April 2, 2012

World Autism Awareness Day

Today is World Autism Awareness Day. In the Autism Community, this day means different things to different people. To some people it means raising money for a cure. To others it means simple getting the word "autism" out. To others, it might be just about wearing blue, or having a blue light on...or a variety of other things.

For me, I never asked for or expected a cure. I don't want to change Ethan from the way he is right now...I might want a little help with math or maybe with the importance of picking things up off the floor, but over all, things are fine. What we do need is more education for teachers in how to deal with kids with autism/asperger's, more training for health professionals (yeah, even some of them are not familiar with how to deal with patients with special needs!), more training for police, fire department, emergency personnel, etc. I would love for us to get to a point where we do not notice the autism, just the person. DIFFERENT...NOT LESS!!!!

Aspen, Colorado
Light It Up Blue Aspen, Colorado
Discovery Communications Headquarters
Sydney Opera House in Sydney, Australia
Great Buddha of Hyogo in Kobe, Japan
Enjoy these photos from the Light It Up Blue Campaign...and take my button so you can Light Up Your Blog Blue! Keep it for the night or keep it for the month!


the worstest mommy

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you about getting the word out so everyone can understand and be able to accept and give more support.

    I love the lighting up for support! Awesome color too!

    I love how you express about not wanting to change your little one. This makes life much easier for families if they accept with love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my son no matter what, autism doesn't change this. Really, I don't think anything could. I want the rest of the world to accept him and love him, but they won't. Not really. In the big bad world are big bad people who do bad things to helpless people. So, I want a cure. I know we won't get one, not personally. So, I want things to get better. How? I want him to be able to communicate, chew his food, and understand danger. The autism in our house is different than the autism in other homes. We may see things differently because of that. My son is helpless. Completely. This is not O.K. I love him too much to accept this. I love others too much to accept it for them. No one should be helpless. No one should accept it. So, I will keep fighting the autism while accepting the person. My son isn't autism. He is my son. I love him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Effie, I know that every autism parent wants different things for their kids just like every autism child is different. But I think one thing we can all agree on is that we just want all of our children to be accepted. With the number of children that have autism increasing, I just don't know why there are people out there that still don't get it. It's amazing....

      Delete
  3. I think it's a case of "it won't happen to me". Well, a lot of cases of it. That comfortable myth won't hold up for very much longer for many many people. God help us all.

    ReplyDelete